Thursday, March 24, 2011

What we've been up to...


Since my last update about our trip to Oxford and what's going on with our small group, we've been busy! Our family's Biggest Loser couples competition is nearing its end. Our last official weigh-in is April 1. I don't think Patrick and I are going to win because we're about the same numbers as when we weighed in after Christmas, haha. But that's alright. We've started the habit of cooking healthier meals at home. Once a week on "Biggest Loser night" we get together with his brother and sister in law to watch the show and eat a healthy meal. In fact, we're meeting tonight! We both lost a good bit of weight last year (or was it the year before?) so we know we can do it again! We just have to get motivated. After being in Destin this past weekend I think I found my motivation. I was able to get by the whole weekend without wearing a bathing suit since it's still not very hot in March and the water is freezing. But I know that won't fly if we go back down for Memorial day weekend in 9 weeks. I hate how summer creeps up on you. With it being so cold and dark all the time in winter months you exercise less and eat more. It doesn't really matter because you're wearing big clothes and no one can tell if that's layers or 10lbs on you. Then all of a sudden BAM! it's time to get in a bikini and layout next to the fit teenage bodies on the beach. The last time I lost 25 lbs I didn't start until school let out in May either. I've gotta get my butt in gear, literally.

So speaking of Destin, we went down for a long weekend while Patrick's nieces and nephews were on spring break. We're lucky that his parents have a beautiful condo right on the beach. It was nice to get away and enjoy the gorgeous weather. It didn't rain at all, wasn't too hot or too cold. We hadn't been down there since last Spring. It was also fun that it was our first time back since we got married! All these "firsts" are exciting as a newlywed. Our first morning there we got up at 6 am (if you know me then you know how unusual and hard that was) and went deepsea fishing. Like i've said before, I love that my husband is adventurous and enjoys doing new things. Well, i think he'd been before but a lot of our activities are new to me! It was a lot of fun, but a serious workout. After fighting those heavy fish and reeling them in for 2 1/2 hours I was tired! We napped on the boat the 2 hour drive back into shore. I got a beautiful tan with my t-shirt on... Between him, me, his brother and my sister in law we caught about 15 fish, mostly trigger fish (like tilapia). We got to keep them too so i'm looking forward to a fish fry! I'll have to admit, watching the sunrise on the boat from the ocean with hubby was pretty nice... I hadn't seen the sunrise since probably 2009.

Besides deepsea fishing, we also ate a lot of good fried seafood over the weekend and did some shopping at the outlet mall. I found a couple new Spring outfits for work thanks to his mom. See, i'm not your stereotypical female shopper. I shop maybe 2 or 3 times a year but when I do I get a lot at once! I don't know what it is. Sometimes I'm just not in the mood (it takes energy and focus to pick out and try on a bunch of stuff). Sometimes I can't find anything I like (or I'm not happy with my body in it). But most of the time it's that I have a frugal personality and I talk myself out of buying things I know I don't need. I guess in the long run being frugal is a good thing. But it's made it harder to spend time with girlfriends over the years. I don't get the obsession with shoes, jewelry and purses. Basically all accessories. I have my few classic ones that I stick to because they go with everything.

Now what I do like to shop for is holiday/party stuff! I have to watch myself if I'm throwing a dinner party, decorating the house for Christmas, or going to anything requiring a costume. I started getting into festive things back in high school with our pep rallies. Our school was serious about dressing up and looking silly for pep rallies, especially homecoming week when we had a different theme every day. On "Your favorite super hero" day, I dressed up as Elastigirl from the Incredibles! On Fridays for school spirit day, I was covered head to toe in orange and blue with the black marks under my eyes. It was so fun because you know in high school everyone's trying to "be cool" all the time, but for these days it was okay to look and act ridiculous. You were excused. Now as an adult that's why I love holidays and reasons to dress up. I still haven't gotten to attend a tacky sweater party- that's my next goal. I bring this up because a week or so ago we had a Murder Myster dinner party with Patrick's brother and sister in law. The theme was Lethal Luau! I'd never been to one of these and since i'm not good at acting (there's a funny story behind that) I was skeptical that i'd be a good participant. Thankfully each character has lines to read and it's all set up for you. The Hawaiian dinner was good and the game was fun! We're planning to do another one for his birthday in May- A Case of Treasure and Treachery (pirate theme)! I can't wait. I love Pirates of the Caribbean movies. I'll post about that after it happens.

I wanted to mention that I've started writing another blog that's just for posting devotionals. I promise I try to make entries shorter than I do over here! If you want to start reading it from the beginning you can here. I've also added it to the list on the right of this page. Other blogs I've been reading recently that are really encouraging and interesting to check out:

Sarah Mae: Like A Warm Cup of Coffee (regarding her post for today: I bet it's not! My laundry pile is definitely bigger! Actually, maybe not since we did 7 loads last week). She has written wonderful articles regarding marriage, motherhood, homemaking, and homeschooling. They're listed on the right side of the page. Also, you can read her abortion story and testimony. She has recorded interviews with wise Christian female authors too. It's great!

Laura: 10 Million Miles She was a guest writer on Sarah Mae's blog and her post on "Time to Quit: The Beauty of A Quiet Life" really touched me! It was so good that I started reading her blog too.

Happy Thursday, it's almost the weekend!

No comments:

Post a Comment